A video call is secure and confidential from the comfort of your own home.
NEW Health virtual visits provide you with the same quality care you have come to rely on without the drive to the clinic.
Scheduling a virtual visit with NEW Health is easy using your smart phone, computer, or tablet. If you are an established NEW Health patient, start by calling to schedule a visit with your provider and let us know you would like a virtual visit.
Not a NEW Health patient yet, no problem! Contact a NEW Health location nearest you to establish care.
Confirm your visit details
Receive an email or text from NEW Health with details of your visit and a link for your virtual session. Check your connection and enter the private virtual waiting room and verify your patient information.
As soon as your provider enters the room your visit will start automatically.
Before your visit
Prior to your visit, you’ll receive an appointment reminder message via email or text message, depending on your preferred method of contact on file with the clinic (so long as you have previously consented to such messaging with your healthcare provider’s office). This will include the details of your visit, as well as a URL (web link) for access to your virtual session.
Before the appointment starts, clinic staff will check you in over the phone, at which point, if you’re unable to locate the link, you may request that it be resent. During check-in, you may click the link and test the connection.
The Athena virtual experience for patients works on desktop and mobile, but only via web browser. You don’t need to download an application to your device. Browser requirements for use of Athena virtual visits include:
Laptop or desktop computer with webcam and microphone required.
- Google Chrome (latest three versions)
- MacOS and Windows Microsoft Edge (chromium-based, version 79 and later)
- Windows Safari (version 12+) on macOS Firefox (latest three versions)
- MacOS and Windows
- Google Chrome on android (latest three versions)
- Safari on iOS 12+ (This feature doesn’t support other browsers such as Chrome on iOS)
In the virtual waiting room
After clicking the link and verifying your connection, you should:
- Enter your name, to be displayed when your provider joins the call.
- Enter the private virtual waiting room and verify the details of your appointment.
- Preview and manage your device settings (testing audio and video, muting your microphone, or choosing a front or back-facing camera on a mobile device). Please make sure that your camera and microphone access are not blocked in your browser settings. Click "Allow" when asked if athenaTelehealth can access your devices camera and microphone to connect video and audio for the virtual visit.
Join the virtual visit
As soon as your provider joins the room, the visit will begin automatically. Multiple providers may enter and exit the room throughout the visit, as appropriate. The clinic staff should inform you when it’s time to leave the session, or let you know to stay present and wait for anther provider to join the session.
When the visit is over and you leave the Athena virtual session, a “Thank you!” message will appear and inform you that you may close the window.
Close out any apps or browser windows you are not using.
Choose "Allow" when the browser asks for access to your microphone and camera
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do I need to log into the Patient Portal to join my virtual appointment?
A: No, the URL will come directly to your preferred contact method and can be accessed via web browser (desktop or mobile).
Q: How long will I remain in the waiting room?
A: The provider will join the call as soon as they’re able, but the virtual waiting room will expire after 30 minutes.
Q: Can I have a caretaker or interpreter join me on the call?
A: Yes, up to four total users can participate in the call simultaneously, including users from both the patient and the provider side. If you require an additional participant be present during the visit, such as a caretaker, the link to the visit can be forwarded or shared with another user.
Q: What if I become accidentally disconnected?
A: You can access the visit again using the same URL you were initially